Sunday 21 September 2014

Late introductions

Most bloggers begin with a brief introduction before their first post. Not me! I have always been one to run before I can walk!

I thought I would be able to add a little 'about me' section on a side bar, but since I can't work out how to do that, I will dedicate this post to introducing myself. I will try not going to make this long post, as I want to keep it related to fundraising, and wouldn't want to bore you!

I am a 21 year old (5 weeks today until I turn 22), who has recently graduated with honors after 5 years of studying the communications industry. Having spent three years at college, I learnt that journalism wasn't for me. I had dreamt from being a child that I would be a writer and journalist, but I realised I wasn't nosey enough to call widowers and ask how they felt after losing their spouse. I would be more likely to make them a cup of tea and be a shoulder to cry on, than report it!

Instead, I decided I would go into the PR or advertising industry. I still love to write, but not in the same way. At university, I learnt how much I liked working in the third sector, and with my voluntary experience (I have since volunteered for 8 charities before gaining my first paid role in this industry) it taught me the many areas of working in a charity. This is where I was able to learn that I loved fundraising, and hope to eventually have the opportunity to not only fundraise for a living, but promote and raise awareness for a charity I am passionate about.

I started my first paid role this month, and love it. I am only a receptionist, but get to greet service-users and be there first contact when they enter the building. This in itself is rewarding, as you get to see how the services can really make a difference to them, and I feel appreciated for my excellent tea-making skills, where I have been complimented on many an occasion!

Having been paid mostly in the retail industry as a student, it is a shock and delight to be appreciated for my work and skills. Although I am mainly answering phones, serving drinks and greeting guests, I have also managed to look at fundraising strategy, do basic administrative tasks and learn more about the charity.

Living in Scotland has made it difficult to get a decent fundraising position (unless you have been in a dark cave over the last few months, the referendum is believed to have prevented Scotland-based employers from advertising jobs for the time being).

So far, there are two things holding me back from the job of my dreams: nerves and a lack of driving licence. Therefore, I have been practicing what I want to say in interviews, speaking to professionals in the industry and of course, sending off for a driving licence. I applied for my provisional this week, and hope to begin my theory test as soon as possible. Although I am keen to drive, I am still giving myself until the end of 2015 to pass. I don't want to pressure myself and put myself under too much stress.

So why do I love fundraising? It is just so rewarding to know that you are working for a charity to make a difference to a valuable cause, rather than helping businessmen get richer! I don't look down on those who work in other industries, I wish I could have an interest in a career where I could probably earn more, but I just don't.

In my fundraising so far, I have wore ridiculous costumes to raise funds including dressing as a bunny rabbit for easter 2013 and dressing as a daffodil for Marie Curie Cancer Care (their logo). I have tried to be creative in my organisation of events including organising tea parties, race nights, quiz nights, and of course, a date auction for 2013's valentine's. I have also gained experience in different kinds of fundraising including for events, the community and being witness to corporate fundraising. I am always looking to learn more and believe you can never know too much about this industry!

Wish me luck in achieving my dreams! I hope you will enjoy reading about my fundraising, as well as my thoughts on methods used in fundraising, latest fundraising trends and news and my battle to get on the fundraising career ladder!

No comments:

Post a Comment