Thursday 23 October 2014

Volunteer Induction

So, I am excited to announce that I will be volunteering to fundraise for another fantastic charity. This time it will be with Cyrenians.

Yesterday evening straight after work, I was able to enjoy wholesome soup and wholemeal bread with a kid's pack of innocent smoothie. Yum! I got to interact with other volunteers, and bond over our passion to help homeless people. It was fun.

We started by gathering ideas about how being homeless affects different parts of the service users' lives. These include how they could suffer with depression, lose trust in people, become isolation, turn to drugs and substance abuse as a way of dealing with their issues and could even be subject to sexual exploitation. I found it truly insightful, and eye-opening, as you learn that some basic human rights can be taken for advantage. It isn't just about being homeless, but it is the continuous cycle they find themselves in where they can't get somewhere to live because of lack of job, and can't get a job without a permanent address. Then they are unable to sign on for benefits without an address, and can't even get medical care with some sort of address!

We also discussed basic etiquette of being a volunteer, and situations we might have to deal with. I found this most interesting, but after working all day it got to me a bit.

I filled in paperwork and gave copies to prove my identity, and know it feels more real, and for the first time in a while, I am REALLY excited to get involved. I was meant to be given dates to volunteer, but I have heard absolutely nothing. Hopefully very soon. Will keep you posted. From now on, my posts will be more top 10 articles I  have seen in the week than referring to articles written, or my personal experience of fundraising. I am still learning my writing style here! Jodie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment